Photo by Rich Addicks

Hometown rally


The Friday night game against Shields Valley Lady Rebels resulted in a Lone Peak Lady Big Horns victory –  by a dramatic fourth quarter 1-point upset. Earlier in the month, the Lady Big Horns fell to the Rebels by 10 points, when the Rebels gained traction late in the game.  “We have some composure issues in the fourth quarter which we overcame tonight,” head coach Loren Bough said. Ivy Hicks said that her teammates played well. “Carly [Wilson] came in really clutch with her layup towards the end. That was awesome. That got us ahead by one point,” Ivy Hicks said. “Everybody just played excellent straight-up defense. Maddie’s [Cone] block definitely saved us in the last two seconds of the game.”  Traditions – and the occasional superstition – play a big role in athletics, particularly high school sports. Lady Big Horns team captains Hicks and Sarah Wilson breathed life into a tradition that had previously departed the locker room of Lone Peak High School (LPHS) when Dasha Bough graduated. “Can I get an Amen?” they yelled at the other players. “Amen!,” the players responded. Over and over again, with heightened energy each time before they charged out to the gym. “For some reason that just gets everybody so pumped up. It’s just one of those things. It’s awesome we are carrying-on that tradition and I think it really helps,” Hicks said. 


Although the Big Horns boys lost their contest against Shields Valley, they sent the game to overtime – against a team that had previously beat them by 17 points, showing marked improvement in less than a month. Momentum was with the Big Horns when they took a solid early lead. The crowd went wild as the Big Horns closed-out the f irst quarter with the lead: 21-9. Although that lead began to slip with just a few minutes left in the 2nd quarter. The score was 26-23 Big Horns at the half. During the halftime warmup LPHS students sang happy birthday to Big Horns #10 Gray Gitchell. The Lone Peak Lookout would like to wish him a very happy belated birthday. It remained a close game heading into the fourth quarter. T he Big Horns played solid defense, but the basket often proved unforgiving on their side. A layup by Austin Samuels put the Big Horns in the lead 41-40. A shot by Nick Brewster took the Big Horns to 43-40. T he hometown crowd chanted, “We are Lone Peak!” Another basket for Brewster was followed by a three-pointer from the Rebels. 45-43 Big Horns with 20 seconds left. Rebels Cole Flatt was fouled with 3.2 seconds left. A Shields Valley player made the sign of the cross as he stepped-up to the freethrow line. He missed the first but landed the second – a tied game and overtime. The Rebels secured victory by three points. 

More Information

Lone Peak Lookout

Cori Koenig, editor:
Susanne Hill, billing:
Ad orders, inserts, classifieds:
Comment Here